Friday, May 20, 2011

The First Two Days

These last two days have been crazy. I am in the Cove area at the park and it is a super fast paced place to be. I've learned a lot about the dolphins in cove including their names and species and a few of their ages. I've also learned about gating or "moving around" the dolphins for shows and what all is involved in basic care and health needs for these animals. Besides all that I am well on my way to learning the names and identifications of the 11 sea lions in the cove area, all the while trying to take in the scheduling and proper cleaning and logistical procedures involved in working at cove. It is by no means an easy area to work in, but I know I am learning from some of the best in the world and it can be very rewarding and fun if I just put in the time and effort to soak up everything and make the most of my 14 weeks here, which I fully intend to do. All my house-mates are amazing and some of the coolest people I know. Right now I am sleeping on an air mattress that sits on top of a futon until the old interns move out but its not bad there's just a lot my stuff that isn't as organized and easily accessible as I would like right now. I just got back from the Aloha party at the park. Since Aloha means "hello" and "goodbye" in Hawaiian it was a party saying goodbye to the old interns and hello to us new ones coming in. I've gotten to know a few of the old interns and it will be a little sad to see them leave. The park gave them leis and allowed the old interns to take a professional photo with their favorite animal in their area. I am enjoying Hawaii soo much!! The scenery I get to look at everyday is literally breath taking! This summer is going to be so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment